5 Reasons Why Kids Should Experience Summer Camp
In addition to the YMCA's citywide day camp programs, the New York YMCA Camps offer sleepaway camp activities which are among the clearest manifestations of the Y mission of developing young people in spirit, mind and body. The skills that are taught, the camaraderie that develops, the feelings of discovery and independence that young people experience in a summer residential setting are without equal. The YMCA works to make the summer camp experience a reality for any girl or boy who wants to participate, whether or not they have the financial resources to do so.
Between the YMCA's three upstate New York camps-McAlister, Talcott and Greenkill-campers have access to 1,150 wooded acres, three waterfronts, 141 buildings and 5.5 miles of nature trails as well as activities like gymnastics, volleyball or judo.
Last summer, nearly 2,000 children came to YMCA Sleepaway Camp for the combination of fun, friendship and learning that lies at the heart of summer camping.
Five Reasons Why Kids Should Experience Summer Camp
- For Adventure: Summer camp is all about fun adventures in the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit nyycamp.org for details.
- For New Experinces: Day and resident camps are about learning outside of school, exploring and appreciating the outdoors, developing new skills, making friends and showing leadership.
- For Personal Growth: While being away from the routine back home, youth have a chance to develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges.
- For New Friendships: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends.
- For Memories: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and campfire stories) that will last a lifetime.